No man wants to have a scruffy beard. Therefore as part of the comprehensive beard grooming process, there is a need for a beard balm. While complimenting beard care with beard oil as well as beard combs and brushes – beard balm is essential for that beard shape hold. Did I also say it’s great for your face too?
Yes, despite not getting as much noise as beard oil; this is a must have.
Mostly, what you need is a great beard balm that has a scent that is appealing in addition to exceptional performance. It should be there to cater for the health.
Also, it should be able to deal with other beard issues like beard dandruff and itchiness. Again the best beard balm should encourage beard growth and thickness. Best beard balm adequately conditions and softens your beloved beard as well. Be sure to have this in mind!
Thank goodness the number of beard enthusiastic men is growing by the day. Likewise so is the influx of beard care products. So as part of having a well-groomed beard, you need the best beard balm too.
In order to make that process of selection easy for you, we put together a list of seven best beard balms. Therefore, go ahead and take your pick.
What is Beard Balm?
Beard balm is defined as a medium to light facial hair care pomade. It is specifically designed to enhance and moisturize your beard. In this way, your beard will enjoy tremendous benefits in its health and quality.
You will also find it refreshing to know that it works with all beard types so no one is left behind. One other cool thing is that it can be used on all occasions. Weather conditions do not inhibit you from applying some!
Usually, it is a creamy mix of oil and butter among other ingredients as the next section shall reveal. However, these ingredients are carefully blended to carry out four specific duties to your beard of:
- Moisturizing – ensuring that your beard remains hydrated enough for growth.
- Softening – taking care of your beard bristles lessening chances of their hardening.
- Nourishing – giving your beard the needed essential nutrients for enhancing quality and growth.
- Protecting – providing you a barrier against common beard related problems such as beard itch and beard ruff among others.
Main Ingredients of Beard balms
Just like beard oil, beard balms contain both carrier and essential oils. However, on the top of these, they also have natural butters and waxes (usually beeswax) as part of the ingredients.
These are hair conditioning products which are even blended to promote beard growth and aid grooming. As such the main ingredients can be broken down into the following:
Carrier oils form the base/foundation of the balm as they are rich in the core nutrients Vitamins A, D and E. Most common carrier oils found in beard balms are Argan, Jojoba, Sweet Almond, Castor and Olive.
These are thus crucial in the softening of the beard. When choosing the best beard balm, ensure that it contains Jojoba Oil. It’s that oil that replicates the function of sebum oil produced naturally by our skin.
However, for a few allergic ones, Argan oil will be the ready substitute for you.
As for the essential oils found in beard balms, we have Vitamin E, Tea tree, Cedar wood, Rosemary and Aloe Vera among others. Since they are the heavier type of oil, they are mainly responsible for the Vitamins and the lovely scent.
Other benefits of essential oils are opening up pores for beard growth, improving blood circulation and fighting skin conditions like acne too. Those with sensitive skin must avoid certain essential oils as they might not be as friendly.
Generally, do not go a beard balm that contains a long list of such oils. However, not all beard balms contain these natural oils. Some come with artificial fragrances to give your balm much more exotic flavors and performance.
Such is their nature these essential oils to give personality.
Unlike beard oil, beard balm also consists of natural butters from fruits and nuts. Generally, they play a complimentary role to the carrier and essential oils. As such their role is to enable the smooth spread-ability of the balm when you apply it to your beard.
Most balms have either shea or cocoa butter among other natural butters. These have pleasant scents and have a great feel on your hands. Since they help in liquefying the balm, you will be sure that when you apply it every corner is reached.
Lastly, a key ingredient that gives the beard balm its prowess is natural wax.
Usually, beeswax is the major type used in most beard balms. Sometimes it will be blended with other waxes as well. It is that ingredient responsible for the solid nature of the balm.
So it is also the one that enables you to maintain that style to your precious beard after application. Therefore, it will depend on the amount that is available in a particular balm for the length of hold when you shape your beard.
The use of beeswax does is not only for maintaining the shape, there are other benefits. It acts as that skin protector when applied to your beard. To add on it helps in minimizing moisture loss from the action of carrier oils, essential
To add on it helps in minimizing moisture loss from the action of carrier oils, essential oils and butter. Only little amounts are found so don’t worry there will be no waxy feel or look on your beard after application.
How to apply beard balms
By now you are now anxious to know how you can apply beard balm. The application process itself is fairly easy even for a rookie. We will look at that simple procedure later on. So before we get into the how part allows us to look at the reasons why you must apply it in the first place.
Why use beard balm?
When you decide to grow a beard or when you already own your precious piece, without maintenance – it may itch and get flaky. As beard grows the amount of sebum (natural hair care oil produced by our skin) produced will not be able to meet the demand.
As a result, your beard and surrounding skin will feel dry. That glow in beard would have gone. Therefore beard balm is needed to address this. So beard balm is there to solve four issues in any beard namely:
- Softens your beard
- Enhances beard health through giving the essential nutrients
- Cures beard problems like beard dandruff and itchiness
- Helps a little bit in beard styling
The beard balm application procedure
- Take your beard balm container, open it and place it into your hand.
- Using your thumb, scrape out enough balm to cover your thumbnail – begin with the small amount to avoid wastage. (You can add more as necessary depending on your beard length)
- Put the scooped amount into your palms and gently rub them to soften it.
- Once it has melted and fully covering your hands, run your fingers into your beard. Make sure that you get deep into the skin underneath applying it as if you’re massaging.
- Lastly, after you’re fully satisfied that you have adequately covered your beard, comb or brush the beard so as to evenly distribute the balm and shape your beard.
Criteria for buying a beard balm
Beard balm just like any other beard care product is not merely picked up from the shelf or online. You need to take a look at certain qualities that make up the best beard balm. After carefully reviewing the best beard balms on the market today the following criteria seems to be ideal:
The quality and type of ingredients used
It is very important to consider the ingredients that are found in any beard balm that you choose. Remember that you are applying it to your face daily. We recommend you to go for the all-natural ingredient beard balm. However, make sure that you are not allergic to some of these especially nuts.
If you are vegan, choose the beard balm that does not infringe your lifestyle. Also, some natural scents do not work for others so choose carefully. In short, the best beard balm should have an even blend of carrier oils, essential oils, natural butter and beeswax – with no offense. Appropriate amounts give best results!
The quantity of the balm
As most beard balms come packaged in a 1 oz or 2 oz container there are also instances of the 4 oz too. Usually, the larger container sizes are for the heavy duty beard balms.
Therefore you need to exercise caution when comparing the various brands of beard balms. The quantity and the price should be realistic enough. Never waste any money on what you do not need. We recommend that you should start with the smaller sizes then as your beard becomes fuller and thicker, heavy duty beard balm becomes handy.
The material used when the beard balm is packaged
Some may consider this as unnecessary but it is one thing that you should note before buying beard balm. Since this product comes in a solid form, it goes through a rigorous heating process before being poured into its container to cool.
As such the golden rule would be avoiding plastic containers – warm or hot beard balm can react with it. Glass or aluminum containers are therefore the best alternatives to avoid any chemical reactions. Surely you would not want a poor quality beard balm, would you? Besides this don’t be worried about the container shape – oval, rectangular or square shapes have nothing to do with the quality of the balm.
The price of the beard balm
We all need value for money. As mentioned previously you must not waste on what you do not need. So it is highly recommended to take a look at the price range of most beard balms on the market today.
When it’s at the lower end it doesn’t mean its poor quality neither does a higher price say it’s the best. Buy what you can afford but bearing in mind that you are satisfied as a customer.
Honest Amish Beard Balm
Main Ingredients: Virgin Argan Oil, Avocado Oil, Grapeseed Oil, Virgin Pumpkin Seed Oil, Apricot Oil, Shea Butter, AloeCocoa Butter, Kokum Butter
- Honest Amish is an all-inclusive beard balm that caters for all beard types.
- Proven to relieve beard itchiness and beardruff.
- The botanicals found in this beard balm work tirelessly in strengthening, softening and repairing your hair.
- Has no strong scents and is easy to use.
- Also available in other sizes.
Smooth Viking with Argan Oil
Main Ingredients: Moroccan Argan oil, Shea Butter, Jojoba oil, Pumpkin Seed Oil, Sweet Almond Oil, Mango Butter, Avocado Oil, Safflower foil, Beeswax Castor Oil
- Contains superb beard grooming and thickening ingredients.
- Premium quality but cost effective beard balm also ideal for those with sensitive skins.
- Ensures that your beard remains trendy due to its all natural oils blend.
- Increases beard growth by protecting skin from sunburn and peeling.
- Allow beard to be manageable for styling.
- Also, prevents early/premature beard graying.
Wild Willies Beard Butter
Main Ingredients: Shea Butter, Beeswax, Sweet Almond Oil, Castor Oil, Apricot Oil, Jojoba Oil, Emu Oil, Tamanu Oil, Tea Tree Oil, Vitamin E, Cedar wood Oil, Rosemary Oil
- A fully natural product containing all essential ingredients.
- Has no artificial fragrances, no colorants or even chemicals/preservatives.
- Moisturizes, conditions and softens beard effectively.
- Cures any form of itch instantly.
- Quick acting – you will see results in a week’s time!
Beard Balm – All Natural Easy-to-Use Leave-in Beard
Main Ingredients: 100% Pure Kosher Grape Seed Oil, 100% Pure Organic Coconut Oil, Lanolin Beeswax Lemon Peel Essential Oil, Eucalyptus Leaf Essential Oil, Geranium Flower Essential Oil
- Made in Detroit with some of the finest ingredients – totally natural.
- A top notch balm that works evenly on the mustache, beard and other facial hair.
- Makes your mane so appealing – for a professional and well-kempt look.
- Accelerates beard growth at your health’s benefit.
- A great buy that also supports local farmers.
Honest Amish – Heavy Duty Beard Balm – 2 Ounce – Beard Conditioner
Main Ingredients: Argan Oil, Golden Jojoba Oil, Virgin Avocado Oil, Grapeseed Oil, Virgin Pumpkin Seed Oil, Apricot Kernel Oil, Shea Butter, Aloe, Cocoa Butter, Kokum Butter
- A beard balm specifically for controlling and conditioning.
- Endorsed by most beard teams worldwide.
- Durable with all natural nutrient rich ingredients.
- Produced with pride and by hand in the USA.
- Combines well with other Brand Amish beard care products for excellent results!
Prophet and Tools Beard Balm
Main Ingredients: Shea Butter, Beeswax, Vitamin E, Golden Jojoba Oil, Argan Oil, Sweet Almond Oil, Apricot Oil, Emu Oil, Tamanu Oil, Castor Oil
- Manufactured using a 100% blend of natural Vitamins and oils.
- Comes in a silky white color to avoid cases of discoloration especially in gray or white beards.
- Naturally organic blend that even repels the harm caused by the sun and the cold.
- Also works as a medical remedy on the scalp, face or hair.
Grave Before Shave Beard Balm
Main Ingredients: Coconut Oil, Shea Butter, Beeswax, Vitamin E, Aloe Vera, Jojoba Oil, Tea Tree Oil, Pure Apricot Oil, Sweet Almond Oil
- Has some of the best blends of natural ingredients.
- Provides key nutrients for beard growth and protection.
- Offers protection to both the skin and beard.
- Comes in a small container that is long lasting.
- Keeps stray hair at bay.
Well, after going through such a list of the best beard balms for 2017, you might be tempted to choose all products. It is clear from the above that the best beard balm has to offer value for money, 100% natural and carry a pleasant scent.
Though it has been difficult our pick is Beard Balm – All Natural Easy-to-Use Leave-in Beard. You will agree that it offers tremendous benefits to your beard.
On top of that by buying it you will be promoting its continued manufacture too. Truly it offers the best of both worlds. A worthy buy after all!